Kiwis in Spain Blog

Stay up to date for our annual events, helpful information, Kiwis in business series and important news.

ETIAS Schengen Travel

What is the ETIAS Schengen Travel Authorisation System?

The ETIAS Schengen Travel Authorisation System is commonly confused with a visa. It is a permit which authorises you to enter a territory and ensures that nations can safeguard their borders against external threats such as terrorism and illegal migration.

The ETIAS Travel Authorisation System was first introduced in the United States shortly after the 9/11 attacks. The European version will be used by all Schengen countries as well as those in the EU that have yet to join the border free zone. It will ensure that 1.4 billion people from over 60 countries who currently have visa free rights to enter the Schengen zone can continue to do so while ensuring maximum security for the union.

How does ETIAS Schengen Travel work?

When the ETIAS Schengen Travel Authorisation System comes online in mid-2025, you will need to go online and fill out a form that will contain information about your contact details and plans within the EU, you will then go onto the payment page and pay a 7 EUR administration fee. 

Shortly after if everything is okay, you will receive an ETIAS permit which is valid for 3 years. If however it is not, there may be a delay of 4-14 days before a decision is granted.

Please ensure that you carry the permit with you as it will help towards the final decision by the Border Guard whether they will let you enter the territory, as it does not authorise entry but it is part of a wider system to do so.

What about our bilateral rights? Will they still be valid?

Yes, but not as you know them now. All valid parties will follow the 90 day rule as opposed to separate rules. 

However this does not mean that you can travel onwards if you decide to use an agreement. Please read carefully: You will have the right to travel freely in the Schengen Zone for 90 days, then if you wish to stay longer you will need to get permission from the bilateral country’s immigration department to extend. 

Then, you will ONLY be allowed to stay in that country for 90 days, at which time after this you will need to leave the Schengen Zone for 90 days. There will be a record of your time in the bilateral country, so if you are thinking of leaving, they will know about it.

What else should I know about ETIAS Schengen Travel?

You can read more about the ETIAS and how it will affect visa-free travel in Europe at these sites:

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to message us or stay connected via our Facebook and Instagram pages. Cheers, Kent.

Official New Zealand in Spain government information

Visas for Spain (Information provided by the New Zealand Embassy in Madrid)

The New Zealand Embassy is not responsible for providing information on entry requirements or issuing visas to New Zealanders wishing to visit, work or reside in Spain. As the Embassy cannot comment on the immigration laws of another country, it is suggested to consult with the Spanish Embassy in New Zealand. If you are currently in Spain and require information on applying for a visa or the right to remain in the country, the competent authority to give advice will be the Oficina de Extranjería.

If you are in New Zealand and you have any visa related questions please contact the Spanish Embassy in Wellington below:

Official New Zealand in Spain social media pages

Please note you will need to book an appointment with the Spanish Embassy in Wellington. You may have to wait several months before you attend your appointment. At your appointment with all your required documents, you will have to leave your NZ passport with the Spanish Embassy. After your appointment you may have to wait 10-14 days for your visa to be printed and affixed to your NZ passport. Make sure you arrive into Spain on the stated date on your visa. This is common advice for the Spain Working Holiday Visa.

Who can I contact for more information?

You are welcome to contact Mark Fyers via email for general enquiries/assistance with visas and bilateral information: 

Mark Fyers – NZ Community Support (Volunteer)

For urgent assistance/support:

+30 698 836 0243

You might be interested in…

You might be interested in …