Kiwis in Spain Blog

Stay up to date for our annual events, helpful information, Kiwis in business series and important news.

visa for moving to Spain in 2024

What are the types of visa for moving to Spain

Understanding the best visa for moving to Spain can be complicated. Before travelling to Spain, there are several procedures you’ll need to complete, and one of these is obtaining a visa.

A travel visa for Spain serves as authorization to enter and stay in the country for a specific duration, usually in the form of a sticker affixed to your passport. The type of visa you apply for determines the activities you can undertake while in Spain.

To obtain a Spain visa, you must meet various criteria, complete necessary procedures, and likely pay a fee.

Types of Visas for Spain

Depending on the duration of your stay, there are two main types of Spanish visas:

1. Spain Schengen visas: These short-term visas allow you to stay in Spain for a maximum of 90 days within a 180-day period. Nationals of 62 countries under the Schengen visa regime travelling to Spain for purposes outlined by the visa do not need to apply for a separate Spain Schengen visa. However, if you have been previously rejected entry into the Schengen territory despite being a national of one of these countries, you’ll need to obtain a Schengen visa to enter Spain.

2. Spain long-stay visas: These visas are for stays exceeding three months. Depending on the type of long-stay visa, you may also be permitted to work in Spain. Nationals of European Union member countries, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland are exempt from applying for these visas.

Spain Schengen Visas

Depending on the purpose of your visit, you may apply for the following main Spanish short-stay visas:

  • Spain Business Visa: For attending business-related activities in Spain.
  • Spain EEA/EU Dependent Visa: For dependents (spouse or child under 18) of EU, EEA, or Swiss nationals.
  • Spain Study or Training Visa: For participating in training or study courses lasting less than three months in Spain.
  • Spain Visa for Diplomatic Passport Holders: For holders of diplomatic passports issued by their countries.

Spain Long-Stay Visas

With a Spain long-stay visa, you can remain in the country for more than three months, as specified on your visa sticker. Depending on the type of long-stay visa, you may be permitted to work or study in Spain. Common long-stay visa types include:

  • Spain Student Visa: For study courses lasting more than three months.
  • Spain Work Visa: For individuals wishing to work in Spain.
  • Spain Family Visa: For non-EU family members of Spanish citizens or residents joining them in Spain for family reunification.
  • Spain Au Pair Visa: For individuals working for a family in Spain under specific conditions.
  • Spain Golden Visa: A residency by investment program requiring a certain real estate investment.
  • Spain Entrepreneur Visa: For entrepreneurs investing in Spain.
  • Spain Working Holiday Visa: For temporary employment in Spain, such as summer jobs.
  • Non-Lucrative Residence Visa: For individuals immigrating to Spain with sufficient income to support themselves and dependents, valid for two years upon arrival.
  • Digital Nomad Visa: For foreigners who can work remotely and carry out remote work or professional activities for companies who are located outside of Spain.

How to Apply for a Spain Visa?

To apply for a Spain visa, follow these steps:

  1. Fill in the appropriate visa application form, ensuring you use the correct form for your visa type.
  2. Collect the required documents, including both standard and visa-specific requirements.
  3. Make a visa appointment through phone, online, or in person, as per the regulations in your country of residence.
  4. Attend the visa interview and submit your biometrics if required.
  5. Pay the visa fee.

After completing these steps, await processing of your visa application.

Best Time to Apply for a Spanish Visa

Apply for a Spain visa within the following time frame:

  • Earliest: Six months before your planned departure.
  • Recommended: At least three months prior to your trip to avoid possible delays.

Where to Apply for a Spain Visa?

Visa submission is regulated by Spain in every country. Depending on your country of residence, you may apply at the Spanish consulate or a visa application centre like TLSContact, VFS Global, or BLS International.

Duration of Stay with a Schengen Visa

With a Schengen visa, you can stay in Spain for up to 90 days within a six-month period. Adhere to the 90/180 rule when counting your stay. Ensure you check the visa sticker for duration of stay and validity dates.

Visa for Lost or Stolen Spanish Resident Card

If you’ve lost your Spanish resident card while outside Spain, you’ll need a re-entry visa to return and apply for a new residence card. Provide proof of travel back to Spain and a duly signed disclaimer.

Spain: An Overview

Spain, officially a Kingdom, is a continental European territory situated in the Iberian Peninsula. It shares a physical border with an African country and includes the Canary Islands off the coast of Africa and the Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean Sea.

With an area of 505,990 km2 and a population of 47,519,628 Spain is the second largest country in the European Union, and Spanish is the world’s second most spoken mother tongue.

The country boasts over 8,000 kilometres of beaches and 44 UNESCO heritage sites. Major cities include Madrid (the capital), Barcelona, Valencia, Seville, and Bilbao.

Top tourist attractions include Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia and Gaudi Sites, the Great Mosque of Cordoba, the Prado and Paseo del Artes in Madrid, and the Alhambra fortress in Granada.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to message us or stay connected via our Facebook and Instagram pages. Cheers, Kent.

Contact Kiwis in Spain HQ

This form collects your name and email address so that we can correspond with you. Check out our privacy policy for more information.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

You might be interested in …