Kiwis in Spain Blog

Stay up to date for our annual events, helpful information, Kiwis in business series and important news.

Read how to register to the Spain national health service

When you become a permanent resident living in Spain, you will need to register for the Spain national healthcare service at your local I.N.S.S. office. They will give you a document which you need to take to your local healthcare centre. The I.N.S.S. will give you a document (Documento Acreditativo) which you need to take to your local healthcare centre in order to register.

You can find out more here

For UK nationals living in Spain visit

Registering for Spain’s national health service, known as the Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social (I.N.S.S.), involves several steps.

Here is a general guide to the Spain national health service:


Before you can register, you must meet certain criteria:

  1. Residents: You need to be a legal permanent resident of Spain.
  2. Employed: If you are employed, your employer should enroll you in the social security system (Seguridad Social).
  3. Self-employed: You need to register with the social security system.
  4. Unemployed: You can still register if you have been registered as a job seeker.

Steps to Register

  1. Obtain a NIE or TIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero)
  • This is your foreigner identification number. You can apply for this at the local Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or police station with a foreigners’ department.
  1. Register at the Local Town Hall (Empadronamiento)
  • Go to your local town hall and register on the municipal register (Padrón Municipal). You will need proof of address (such as a rental contract or utility bill) and your passport.
  1. Get a Social Security Number
  • Visit your nearest social security office (Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social, TGSS). Bring your NIE, passport, proof of address, and employment contract or proof of self-employment. You will be given a social security number (Número de la Seguridad Social).
  1. Register with a Health Centre
  • Go to your local health centre (Centro de Salud). Bring your NIE, social security number, proof of address, and passport. Fill out the registration form provided. Once registered, you will be given a health card (Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual), which you need to access healthcare services.

Documents Needed

  1. NIE
  2. Passport
  3. Proof of address (rental contract, utility bill)
  4. Employment contract or proof of self-employment
  5. Social security number
  6. Empadronamiento certificate (from the town hall)

Additional Notes

  • EU Citizens: If you are an EU citizen, the process may be simpler, but you still need to follow the steps above.
  • Non-EU Citizens: You may need additional documentation, such as a visa or residence permit.
  • Healthcare Card: The health card is crucial for accessing all healthcare services. Always carry it with you.

Make sure to check with local authorities for any updates or additional requirements specific to your region in Spain.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to message us or stay connected via our Facebook and Instagram pages. Cheers, Kent.

Contact Kiwis in Spain HQ

This form collects your name and email address so that we can correspond with you. Check out our privacy policy for more information.

Quick Message

This form collects your name and email address so that we can correspond with you. Check out our privacy policy for more information.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

You might be interested in …